Friday, March 03, 2006

None dare call it junk


I may have mentioned Hostess powdered sugar Donettes® in a previous column, but management had a coupon, so she bought some more. They are delicious, and, I don’t care what you say, nutritious. Tender, sweet and filling. And for 2 for $4.00 with a 40 cents off coupon, a great value.

When you are writing ad copy, you do not have to use complete sentences with a subject and a predicate. And experienced bloggers can do that, too, because everybody knows that they would use a complete sentence, but they are too busy and clever to bother. To top it off, yours truly is a dog. The rules positively fly out the window when you consider that.

Back to my Hostess Donettes®. You can buy them on amazon.com. If you like to read books in bed (like management, for example), you can eat donuts, too, all from amazon.com.

I think this is part of the services economy. “Amazon.com - Purveyors of fine donuts and books” “Order your Hostess powdered sugar Donettes® from Amazon and pay only a 35% premium over the most expensive grocery store in America. Get yours today!”

Time for my evening constitutional and then another tasty Hostess Donette® before I hit the hay.

Comments:
It's a toss-up between chocolate frosted -fresh from Dunkin' Donuts - and Donettes. When in doubt I use the 'Made in America' test. Even though my local Dunkin' Donuts makes donuts right on the spot, they are owned by a private equity consortium. I always say, "When a private equity consortium** gets into the donut business, head for the hills."

Well, so that leaves Hostess which is part of Interstate Brands in Kansas, home of Toto and Dorothy.

**The Carlyle Group has a piece of the action. I'd better not tell management. She hates them with a passion. So even though I am a principled American, I can't see a future without chocolate frosted donuts, even if the Carlyle Group is in on the deal.
 
The matter of 'nutritious donuts' brings to mind an argument a smoker friend once explained to me about his smoking.

He told me smoking was healthy.

He explained how tobacco smoke stimulated his lungs, and so kept them from atrophying for lack of use.

Being the nice guy that I was (now I'm old and grumpy), I chose not to argue. Instead, I wrestle with my atrophying lungs.

Oh, well...
 
Hello, Joe, how's your Mojo?

We professional writers need to have one-liners up our sleeve at all times.

Smoking is bad. Donuts, however, are excellent.

Thank you for stopping at my blog.

-----------
Elaine -
We did not learn how to make donuts in dog school, because with a dog school diploma, we could afford to go to the bakery. But I am a Conservative, and I believe in self-reliance.

Free fish and chips? Today they would give them to the food pantry and write it off, like I give away my Brand X dog food to the poor dogs when we are running short of money and can't afford Nutro healthy weight formula.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?