Thursday, June 08, 2006

M&M's lies to us


The other night management brought home a bag of mega M&Ms. It says, "Bold Colors" right on the bag.

I was thinking, "Gee. Why do we need different M&M colors? The regular ones are fine with me, and besides, management does not eat the brown ones, which is better for me in case the bag spills on the floor. What if the bold M&Ms are all her favorite colors? Where does that leave me?"

Here is what the m&m's website says about them: "Mega M&M'S®, a new version of the iconic color-coated candies, are on average 55 percent bigger in size than original M&M'S® and come in six new hues that appeal to adults: maroon, teal, blue-gray, beige, gold and brown. "

I was worried for nothing.

Since I read the J Jill and J Crew catalogs from time to time to see how the boss is spending our money, I know how to name colors. You do not say 'purple'. You say 'eggplant' or 'wicked witch' or 'iris' or 'queen of the night'. You do not say 'maroon', either. I guess the m&m people have all their taste in their mouth. If they had called me, I would have told them what to name the colors - red ink, hypothermia, bruise, bore me, bug splat and tree stump.

They even talked about this on CNN Money. "M&M's targets adults". I am an adult. I think this is stupid. It is hard being an artist.

Comments:
Well, DaliWood, I certainly agree with you about this marketing faux pas on the part of M&M's. No one cares about beige M&M's, I can guarantee you.

There are a lot of fat people around. They need 55% bigger candy because their hands are too fat to pick up the lesser but better M&M's.

Also, everything is Super Size. I have been hoping for a super size order of cheese fries and a foot long chili dog.

I did find a 55% larger mega bold M&M on the floor. The boss is always dropping things. It was teal/bruise. I ate it, but it was more of a duty than a pleasure. 'Trying to do my part keeping the place clean.

Maybe I would call the brown M&M Eva Braun. Possibly I will hire a focus group to mull this over. If nothing else, I can get them into a deluxe fan club membership for 29.95.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?